Care For Your Footwear!
- Spray new shoes with a waterproof protector. It will keep the surface from getting marred if they do get wet in the rain.
- Add taps and half-soles of rubber to the bottoms. A shoe repairman can do this for cheap, and the reinforcements will add many years to the life of your shoes.
- Alternate pairs. You want your shoes to have time to breathe between wearings. Wear a different pair everyday.
- Let shoes dry for several hours before putting them in the dank recesses of your closet.
- Clean the insides. This is especially important if odour is a problem. Swab them with a drop of tea tree oil, an antifungal agent. Take care not to splash to avoid staining the leather.
- Wear hose or sock liners. This will protects against perspiration, which erodes insoles.
- Use shoe trees. They help retain the shoe's shape.
- Polish leather. The salt in sweat dries out leather over time; polishing regularly keeps it supple.